(PHOTO FROM THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA)…recipe from me 🙂
4 Italian Turkey Sausage (I use Shady Brook)
1 T Olive Oil
2 cups diced yellow onion
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
2 cloves minced garlic
3 T tomato paste
1 16-20 ounce can Cannellini Beans
32-48 ounces broth (I use Pacific Brand)
2 cups baby kale or spinach
2 T lemon juice
1 2″ rind parmesan
Grated Parmesan Garnish
- Heat The Olive Oil medium high
- Remove the casings from the turkey sausage and brown for about 5 min
- Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook on medium for 10 min.
- Add garlic
- Add Tomato paste and stir.
- Add Broth and the parmesan rind *whole about 2 ” peice”
- Simmer for 20-30 min over medium low.
- Add 1/2 the beans and **puree the other half seperately with an immersion or regular blender.
- Add the pureed beans and heat for another 5.
- Add the leafy greens and stir.
- Add lemon juice. It adds a really fresh taste and is a nice finish.
- Garnish with grated parm, fresh pepper.
- Trust me on the parmesan rind. Adds amazing flavor to this soup. Just dont forget to take it out!
**Pureeing the beans is an option, however, it really adds a nice texture to this soup by making it a little thicker than your average vegetable-based soup.